Saturday, April 16, 2011

How well do we understand His love and grace?

How well do I understand God’s unconditional love? Here is a test. When I sin do I feel less loved by Him? Do I feel that He is dissatisfied with me? Do I feel that I have to try harder to meet His expectations?
God’s unconditional love does not vary, it is perfect. “What does vary is (our) awareness of (His) loving presence.”(Sarah Young, 40 Days with Jesus, Day 31). Sin brings shame just as it did to the first couple in the garden. But it did not stop God from still wanting to fellowship with them. To deal with shame and “feel” more loved by God we often will try to perform our way back into His presence. That demonstrates that we still do not grasp or understand His love and grace. God has removed shame through the cross. Shame no longer has the power to hold us from God (Rom. 8:1, 1 John 4:18). His love has defeated and continues to overcome shame. Therefore, when we sin we simply remove the resulting shame through confession which is for our sakes not God’s. Once shame is removed, we can again enjoy His constant, unconditional and never changing love.

No comments:

Post a Comment