Saturday, May 7, 2011

Who am I really?

Who am I really?

Img_3390-2

“At some point you’ve just got to grow up and become who you really are. It’s not a matter of figuring out ‘what would Jesus do?’ but living your identity in and as Christ.” (Jim Palmer, Wide Open Spaces, p.78) Paul tells us in Col. 3:4 that it is Jesus who is our “real life” and again in Gal. 2:20, “ I no longer live but Christ lives in me.” It would appear then that I have two identities, my old self, known for its sin and shame, and another that is perfect and full of love. Which one do others see in me? Which one really identifies me more?
As I face life daily I must constantly ask myself, are my actions or decisions indicative of the real me? If I accept the truth of scripture I must acknowledge that Jesus has become my “real life”. I have let Him into my heart and He exists in me as a “new creation” that God has always intended me to be. But will I allow that “real and intended me” to live Himself out or will I “default” back to the old me?
My intention then, is to discover more everyday who I really am and live accordingly. As Palmer also says, “I used to think the key for living the Christian life was transferring what I knew in my head down to my heart. Now I see it’s the reverse: getting what has been deposited into my heart up into my head.” (p.74)
Who are you, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment